It is often said that niching down and making your offer specific to a particular need and section of the market is the key to success. Rick Carlson, our guest today believes that this idea is still under-appreciated. Rick is the CEO of SharpSpring, an all-in-one marketing automation platform that has experienced great success in its young life. We hear from Rick about his career in the marketing sphere, what he has chosen to give his attention to and the events leading up to the founding of SharpSpring. We chat about the company’s base in Florida and why Rick decided to keep the company in his home state instead of one of the other startup hubs in the US. From there, Rick takes us through how SharpSpring approaches customer acquisition and their own marketing before we talk about finding the right type of customers and how he does this. The conversation ends off with the customary questions, with Rick opting to share his favorite business podcast instead of a book! For all this and a whole lot more from someone who is making great waves in the marketing world, and doing things slightly differently, join us on Leveling Up today!
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:21] Before we jump into today’s interview, please rate, review, and subscribe to the Leveling Up Podcast!
- [00:42] Rick’s background in sales, marketing and products, and his experiences in the field.
- [02:18] The strange story of how SharpSpring became a publicly-traded company.
- [04:14] Rick’s life in Florida; why he chose to base his company in his hometown.
- [06:22] SharpSpring’s current client base and how they shape up next to their peers.
- [07:30] SharpSpring’s target market and the interesting tactics they use for capturing.
- [09:01] Rick’s tips for getting out there, finding market-fit and working with agencies.
- [10:29] The effort that goes into connecting with the right companies and partners.
- [12:44] Focusing on a specific niche — the reasons for SharpSpring’s success.
- [14:37] Rick’s favorite business podcast, article and tool!
- [15:55] Why Rick chooses to focus on his own work over following other companies and founders.
Resources From The Interview:
- Rick Carlson
- Must listen podcast: Manager Tools
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Who should I interview? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review here
- Subscribe to Leveling Up on iTunes
- Get the non-iTunes RSS Feed
Connect with Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.