Time-Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:48] Before we jump into today’s interview, please rate, review, and subscribe to the Growth Everywhere Podcast!
- [01:30] Sameer explains that Kahuna is a customer engagement platform and they work with a lot of great brands and businesses.
- [04:00] Kahuna applies a lot of data science and machine learning to make life easier for their clients.
- [05:00] Kahuna will help you make sure that first time buyer becomes a repeat customer.
- [06:37] Sameer has a lot of experience running a business and even started his own business and ran it for years before coming to Kahuna.
- [08:00] Kahuna had lost its way before Sameer got there.
- [08:15] His goal was to find out what the customers loved about their service, but also what they wanted. He then guided the company in that direction.
- [09:15] Kahuna was named one of 2017’s Best Places to Work by The San Francisco Business Times.
- [09:50] Sameer had a hand in creating this atmosphere.
- [12:00] It’s important to get people behind your company before getting them behind the product you are building.
- [12:45] Your company’s value system needs to outlive the products you build.
- [15:22] Kahuna spends a lot of time trying to understand massive customer problems and what unique things they can do to solve those problems.
- [16:20] 7 of the number 1 marketplaces in the world use Kahuna.
- [16:40] This includes places like Singapore.
- [17:20] Kahuna once onboarded 80 Million users in a single day without using any dev ops.
- [19:15] When you come to a company to help turn it around, you face a number of issues.
- [19:25] Morale is one of those issues.
- [20:10] Companies think you don’t have to focus on culture as long as you fix the product, but that is just not the case.
- [24:45] Narrowing your focus, but expanding your offerings is not a contradiction.
- [26:00] When you narrow your focus, you can become extremely well-versed in a given issue.
- [26:36] At Kahuna, they have gone way past basic marketing and having focused on building out features that drive analytics and liquidity for marketing.
- [27:00] Originally, Kahuna wasn’t focused on digital marketplaces, but Sameer helped guide them in that direction.
- [29:05] The board understands Kahuna’s mission and Sameer’s vision.
- [30:25] Sit down with your board and make sure they understand the changes you are making and why.
- [31:15] Sameer recommends the book What They Don’t Teach you at Harvard Business School.
- [33:22] One tool Sameer thinks has added value to his life is an app called Blinkist.
Resources from the interview:
- Sameer on Twitter
- Pretzel Logic Blog
- Must-read book: What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Who should I interview? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, leave a short review here
- Subscribe to Growth Everywhere on iTunes
- Get the non-iTunes RSS Feed
Connect With Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.