Hey everyone! In today’s episode, I share the mic with Tony Yang, VP of Marketing at Conversion Logic, an independent SaaS-based attribution measurement and analytics provider. Check out Conversion Logic’s CEO Brian Baumgart on the Growth Everywhere video series
Tune in to hear Tony’s insights about why internal marketing is so important, critical methods of Account-Based Marketing, and how they went from 15-20K to 25-30K MRR!
Time-Stamped Show Notes:
- [00:51] Before we jump into today’s interview, please leave a review and rating and subscribe to the Growth Everywhere Podcast!
- [02:10] He has been the VP for only 8 months at this point.
- [02:45] He has primarily held marketing roles for the last decade, while working at various startups and large telecom companies.
- [03:40] They are a SaaS platform that solves a problem for consumer marketers.
- [03:55] They solve the problem of attribution.
- [06:00] The issue is how to track interaction across platforms and devices and understand where the traffic is coming from.
- [07:00] Conversion Logic applies machine learning to make sense of all the data and track attribution.
- [07:54] Because they apply machine learning, it helps to make sense of all of the data.
- [08:28] Many of their customers experience a 50% increase in customer spending.
- [09:54] Tony likes to tell his team, “Always be marketing your marketing internally.”
- [11:12] There is a perception that there is a misalignment between marketing and sales.
- [12:15] People don’t always understand what marketers do, so transparency is key.
- [12:57] Have regular meetings and open lines of communication.
- [13:10] Tony works remotely, so apps like Slack are great for communication, as well as sales calls and meetings.
- [13:58] Conversion Logic sends out an internal employee newsletter, to further help with team building and transparency.
- [15:25] Account-based marketing is not a new concept.
- [16:10] The definition of ABM is a strategic approach to how you engage and win business with accounts utilizing all of your teams and departments.
- [18:03] Focus on the “right” accounts and “right” people and find ways to engage with them.
- [18:25] Even though Conversion Logic uses Google Page Search campaigns, that is such a broad approach.
- [18:42] The majority of leads that come through that channel are unqualified.
- [19:40] Using targeted content syndication is a great method to engage the right leads.
- [20:45] The average deal size has been increasing for them since using more targeted engagement methods.
- [21:00] Whereas they used to have 15-20K MRR, they now have 25-30K.
- [21:35] ABM strategy shouldn’t end once you’ve landed an account. The goal is to land and expand and buy into more.
- [22:25] One of the core ABM tools is Salesforce.
- [23:05] Marketo is another great not-necessarily ABM tool.
- [23:30] Ringlead is a lead-to-account matching tool that has proven helpful.
- [24:15] Terminus is an ABM display ad tool, which can help you add impressions.
- [24:30] Direct mail is also making a comeback!
- [25:18] Tony recommends the book Hooked by Nir Eyal.
Resources from the interview:
- Conversion Logic
- [email protected]
- Tony on LinkedIn
- Tony on Twitter
- Must-read book: Hooked
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Who should I interview? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, leave a short review here
- Subscribe to Growth Everywhere on iTunes
- Get the non-iTunes RSS Feed
Connect With Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.