Welcome to another episode of Growth Bites. Today we’re talking about hiring questions you should ask a growth hacker or Internet marketer candidate. It’s okay to get started with basic interviewing questions, but move on to topics that tells you how they think and what they find impressive.
- This isn’t a comprehensive list, but good questions to keep in mind to get started. [01:27]
- “What’s your biggest win?” This is a question I always ask whether you’re looking for a growth hacker or SEO specialist. This will give you insight to how they think and what they think is impressive. [01:41]
- When asking this question, some candidates will say they ranked the word “shoes” as #1 over 10 years ago. This was obviously before SEO was even difficult and it shows how little your skills have grown. [02:20]
- You need more metrics and details and how it affected the bottom line. [03:05]
- Once they give you some feedback, you can ask more about what was involved and the metrics chosen. [04:08]
- You can also tell by their demeanor if they’re shy about it or not. If they’re reserved by it, they’re probably not that impressed by it themselves. [04:43]
- Don’t hire people that don’t impress you. Hire people smarter than you. [05:07]
- “What’s your favorite Internet marketing blog?” This tells me where they’re searching or I might discover a blog I’ve never heard of. [05:24]
- The worst answer they can give is that they’re not sure or there’s too many to pick from. [05:50]
- You’ll be surprised how many people stumble over this question. [06:21]
- “What’s the last book you read?” It could be fiction or non-fiction, and I can find out how the book affected them. [06:46]
- Sometimes the answer I get is they haven’t read in over 6-months. One of our core values is continuing to learn. So while it’s fine if they haven’t read, it’s not a good fit for us. [07:23]
- “Imagine a funnel showing 10k visitors, 5 of your leads, 50 opportunities and 10 new customers. What would you do as a marketer to improve this funnel?” Ultimately you want someone who can target part of the funnel to improve conversion rates. [08:00]
- There’s no wrong answer, but you want to find out how people think, and whether they’re a good fit and can impress you. [09:05]
- “For our product or service, what do you think our low hanging fruit is?” Ask them to develop a 90 day plan or marketing powerpoint presentation to see how they think. [9:24]
- Figure out if this person can create a marketing plan without hand-holding. Ask if it’s impressive. [10:05]
Selected Links from this Episode:
- How to Hire Effective Marketers
- My interview with John Levisay from Craftsy on hiring people smarter than you are
Selected questions to ask a growth hacker or Internet marketer:
1) “What’s your biggest win?”
2) “What’s your favorite Internet marketing blog?”
3) “What’s the last book you read?”
4) “Imagine a funnel showing 10k visitors, 5 of your leads, 50 opportunities and 10 new customers. What would you do as a marketer to improve this funnel?”
5) “For our product or service, what do you think our low hanging fruit is?”
Leave some feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, leave a short review here.
- Subscribe to Growth Everywhere on iTunes.
- Get the non-iTunes RSS feed
Connect with Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.