On the show today we welcome the CEO and founder of Attest, Jeremy King. Attest has become the leading consumer growth platform that has grown from a team of 27 to 90 employees in just one year. The story of how the company was founded is an unusual one as Jeremy worked and was schooled as a scientist who, after his time at a global management consulting firm, also did his MBA. He talks about his passion for empiricism and his strong philosophy of data-based decision-making, and it is this drive that led him to start a business that eliminates all the guesswork around potential customers and markets. Jeremy shares about their primary clientele, the various subscriptions packages the offer, how they approached fundraising for a product that can be complex to explain, and what their best sales pitch looks like. He also differentiates between Attest’s mission and vision, makes a case for Harvard Business School, talks about their go-to-market tool stack, and shares what he learned from Charles Darwin and Alexander Agassiz in Reef Madness.
TIME-STAMPED SHOW NOTES:
- [00:41] Before we jump into today’s interview, please rate, review, and subscribe to the Leveling Up Podcast!
- [00:57] Jeremy’s science background and passion for empiricism and data-based thinking.
- [01:30] Working for the McKinsey consulting firm in over 25 different countries.
- [01:40] The difficulty with meeting and understanding the customers you don’t have yet.
- [02:03] When Attest was founded, where it is based, expansion plans, and what their vision is.
- [02:47] Their primary clientele and how they help them to target customers more effectively.
- [03:46] Attest – One platform that can be used in a wide range of ways.
- [04:17] Helping clients better understand consumers to increase their growth.
- [04:39] Making money through a subscription service: A Saas platform in your browser.
- [05:14] The price range of the various subscription packages on offer.
- [05:57] Approaching the fundraising process with a complex message.
- [06:59] Their mission of making the market much bigger by making customer research simpler.
- [07:35] Key lesson from his diverse background and experiences before Attest.
- [09:40] The motivation behind Attest’s quick and trusting onboarding process.
- [10:37] Why Jeremy still recommends Harvard Business School and its vibrant network.
- [12:04] Going from a team of 27 to 90 in 2019, their exponential growth, and net retention.
- [13:39] The six components of company culture at Attest and how it is lived.
- [16:17] The larger the organization, the more important for each person to live out the culture.
- [16:36] Learning about the value of pre-onboarding from other SaaS companies in the UK.
- [18:01] The vision of Attest: the elimination of guessing when it comes to prospective markets.
- [18:57] On a mission to make it easy to acquire data so no guesswork is needed.
- [19:48] Growth by simplifying the proposition and showing clients how Attest applies to them.
- [22:08] What we can learn from Zoom: Doing the simple things well.
- [23:10] Key thoughts about Charles Darwin and Alexander Agassiz in Reef Madness.
- [25:50] Using the most popular go-to-market tools, and all about the Singapore #StartupStack.
- [28:06] Being inspired by ProfitWell’s product marketing and how they explain what they do.
Resources From The Interview:
- Jeremy King on LinkedIn
- David Attenborough
- McKinsey & Company
- Harvard Business School
- Singapore #StartupStack on SlideShare
- Patrick Campbell
Leave Some Feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Who should I interview? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, please leave a short review here
- Subscribe to Leveling Up on iTunes
- Get the non-iTunes RSS Feed
Connect with Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.