Welcome to another edition of Growth Bites. Today we’re talking about if coding is really necessary or not for the modern marketer. Is it a must-have skill? I’ll also dive right into what it takes to be a great modern marketer.
- Don’t worry if you don’t have coding skills. I previously worked at an online technology start-up that taught people how to code and do web design, but I actually didn’t have any of those skills. [1:25]
- I wanted to help grow a company that was trying to help change the world, while learning how to do coding and web design at the same time. [1:42]
- To date, I only have basic CMS and HTML skills. So my short answer to whether or not modern marketers need coding is “No.” [2:02]
- Many marketers I know like Neil Patel, Noah Kagan, Sean Ellis don’t know how to code. [2:14]
- You need to understand the objectives of a product and a good user experience. [2:31]
- Go on sites like Product Hunt to understand the nuances and how things are changing. [2:49]
- A great marketer is understanding the new trends going on and what your competitors are doing. [3:00]
- Knowing how to code and make small changes to your website can save some time, but can also break things and is taking a big risk. [3:10]
- Hire specialized talent like designers or developers to do the work for you and go into depth. [3:45]
- How do you become a good modern marketer? You need to go out and get your feet wet. [4:29]
- I started my career in search engine optimization before all the crazy Panda updates came out. [4:37]
- I went on to study other disciplines in marketing like paid advertising, conversion and content marketing among others. [4:57]
- Start-ups need well-rounded people with a variety of marketing knowledge. The ideal growth hacker understands multiple disciplines and decent at all of them with a speciality in at least one. [5:24]
- It’s up to you as the growth hacker to make things work from management to metrics. [5:30]
- Growth hacking requires hungry learners who can act as Jack of All Trades. [6:30]
- To get started as a modern marketer, focus on one specialty work. [7:11]
- Continue to read and absorb everything about growth hackers like GrowthHackers.com, Inbound.org, Redditt marketing, Quibb, OKDork, Andrew Chen. [7:19]
- If you’re a marketer; test, test, test and be able to figure out if people are b.s’ing you. [8:15]
Selected Links from this Episode:
- Neil Patel
- Sean Ellis
- Product Hunt
- Noah Kagan’s OK Dork blog
- Andrew Chen
Leave some feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, leave a short review here.
- Subscribe to Growth Everywhere on iTunes.
- Get the non-iTunes RSS feed
Connect with Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.