Today I’m going over three resources that will help you find similar sites within the same niche.
Right now I’m doing research for one of my products, which is a course on how to hire A-players, so I’m trying to make a list of similar blogs and websites that might make good joint venture partners, and I have three different websites I use to find them.
- SimilarWeb [01:25]
- The name is pretty self-explanatory in that it helps you find similar websites across the internet. All you have to do is enter a website’s url and it shows you what other websites are similar to it.
- It also lets me explore similar categories as well. For hiring, I can explore sites related to small businesses, human resources, and so on.
- Alexa [02:16]
- This is an Amazon-owned site that lets you type in websites to find similar ones while also exploring different categories.
- It’s good to cross-reference this one with SimilarWeb because they both show you different results.
- Alltop [02:40]
- This shows you top sites from the categories you select. I like to explore business, small business, HR, recruiting, and so on.
- Other tools like Followerwonk let you find Twitter influencers [03:04]
- vidIQ shows you YouTube influencers [03:10]
Hello and welcome to another edition of Growth Bites.
Today we’re going to talk about how you can find similar sites in the niche.
Right now, I’m doing research for my product which is a course on how to hire A players. So, what I’m trying to do is I’m trying to make a list of potential blogs, other websites that might be good for joint venture partnerships or even building a relationship. So, what I do is I have 3 different websites to use.
The first one is called SimilarWeb and SimilarWeb is what exactly what it says it is. I mean, it helps you find similar websites on the internet. So, basically you go to SimilarWeb.com. You type in whatever website you think is relevant. So, let’s just say from my case Recruiter.com is a very good website and I want to find sites that are similar to that. I can type in the website and it’ll show me what other websites are similar to it and I can just click on those. I can make a spreadsheet and I can also, when I go to Similar Web, I can also go to different categories that are available. So, in my case, I might look for small businesses. I might look for human resources and then, it’ll show me the top 100 websites and I can just add that to my spreadsheet.
Same thing with Alexa, a lot of you have probably heard of Alexa but that’s Alex with an A. So, it’s Alexa.com and it’s own by Amazon but it allows you to see and go to different categories. You can type in the website and you can also see the same thing. It’s the same thing. It’s going to show different results from Similar Web but that’s why it’s good to cross reference the two.
So, you have Similar Web and you have Alexa. And then, another one I’d like to use is called Alltop. That’s A-L-L Top. All Top will show top sites from different categories as well. For me, I can go in to business. I can go in to small business. I can go in to HR. I can go in to recruiting. And then from there, I could just continue to add my list.
These 3 tools are great. Obviously, there’s a lot of different tools out there. If I want to look at Twitter influence, I can use Followerwonk. YouTube has its tools as well. There’s something called vidIQ that shows me the influences for YouTube. And I can also just take advantage of my network. I can also ask my email list. So, there’s a lot of different ways to find similar sites in your niche. Also, looking at successful podcasts as well, there might be another way to look at it too.
So, just keep that in mind. These 3 tools, SimilarWeb, Alexa, Alltop and then you have a lot of other things at your disposal as well.[/spoiler]
Resources from this Episode:
Leave some feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, leave a short review here.
- Subscribe to Growth Everywhere on iTunes.
- Get the non-iTunes RSS feeds
Connect with Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.