Welcome to another episode of Growth Bites. Today we’re talking about my favorite sales books and blogs. These are some of my must-reads for my sales team and what leaders in Silicon Valley are reading.
- Start your reading list with “Predictable Revenue” by Aaron Ross [01:26]
- A lot of SaaS develop Aaron’s predictable revenue model by hiring separate closers and executives. It’s hard to do be both roles efficiently and they should be specialized whenever possible. [01:51]
- The book also lays out compensation structure and tools you can use. [02:21]
- Aaron Ross also has a blog called PredictableRevenue.com with free resources and information and serves as a Bible for Silicon Valley. [02:40]
- Next, pick up “Ultimate Sales Machine” by Chet Holmes. This book takes a look at what it really takes to close deal. There are actionable tips you can do like make up a list of 100 dream companies you want to work with, how to approach people with cold calling, and getting past a gatekeeper. [03:02]
- In my opinion, combining email with cold calling works well to add some personal touches. [03:42]
- Another great book is “Influence” by Robert B. Cialdini. It lays out different case studies to why people do what they do.
- For example, the Anchor Strategy includes walking into a store and deciding not to buy a jacket for $1,000. But on your way out, you get stopped by a sales rep who tells you it’s only $400. When the price lowers, the cost doesn’t see so bad. [04:51]
- Read Jason Lemkin’s blog, SaaStr.com. Jason is the co-founder of Echosign and they broke over 100 million before selling the company to Adobe. Jason discusses when it’s time to hire a VP of Sales, metrics you should look at, lead velocity rate, numbers to hit billion dollar company. [6:06]
- You can also check out Jason’s writing on Quora. [7:35]
Selected Links from this Episode:
- “Predictable Revenue: Turn Your Business Into a Sales Machine with the $100 Million Best Practices of Salesforce.com” by Aaron Ross
- Aaron Ross’ PredictableRevenue.com blog
- “The Ultimate Sales Machine: Turbocharge Your Business with Relentless Focus on 12 Key Strategies” by Chet Holmes
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition by Robert B. Cialdini
- Jason Lemkin’s blog SaaStr.com
- Read Jason Lemkin on Quora
- My interview with Jason Lemkin for Growth Everywhere
Leave some feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, leave a short review here.
- Subscribe to Growth Everywhere on iTunes.
- Get the non-iTunes RSS feed
Connect with Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.