Welcome to another episode of Growth Bites. Today we’ll go over the Skyscraper Technique, which is an SEO technique that’s been popularized by Brian Dean of Backlinko.
- The Skyscraper Technique is utilizing content marketing and outreach at the same time to grow your website visits and links. [01:44]
- The main goal is to create exceptional pieces of content that are better than what’s already out there. [02:00]
- Do Google research to discover what you should write about: find something that’s already performing well. [02:10]
- Create an outreach list of people who are linking to the already popular pieces of content. Make a spreadsheet, because these are all potential leads you can reach out to. [02:30]
- It does take a fair amount of time, but once you have a process, you can delegate it to others. [03:07]
- The old days of going to a forum and buying links are gone, so even though producing great content and distributing it is a pain in the butt, it’s worth it. [03:32]
- After figuring out which piece of content to skyscrape, which piece you want to make significantly better with more data, links, ideas, videos, etc. [03:51]
- After you create it, use your outreach list and email them. [04:12]
- You can guess people’s email addresses. Doing a Google search on how to do this will give you a handful of useful techniques. [04:20]
- Document the process as you do it once and then delegate it: you can delegate finding something to skyscrape, the entire outreach process, and even the content creation. Delegate as much as you can. [04:30]
- The recommendation from Brian Dean is to spend at least as much time working on distribution as you do on content development. Sometimes he even recommends a 2:1 ratio for distribution:production. [05:00]
- To keep people accountable to the time ratio, you can use a time-tracking tool like Toggl or Harvest. [05:31]
- The conversion rate should be anywhere from 17% 20% to get people linking back to you: if you send 400 emails out, that’s 68 links. [05:38]
- Making great content is one part, but promotion is the other part people tend to forget about. [05:58]
- The Skyscraper Technique is a new phrase, but it’s something that people have been doing for a long time, and it’s time more people should start doing this. [06:06]
- The Skyscraper Technique is link building, but it’s warranted for content that deserves links. Frankly, it’s deserved because you put in the time to create something that’s better that what’s already out there and you put in the time for the outreach too. [06:19]
- My advice is to try it on one piece of content you can produce that’s relevant to your audience that you can make world class and see what happens. [07:03]
Selected Links from this Episode:
- Open Site Explorer
- My Interview with Brian Dean of Backlinko
Leave some feedback:
- What should I talk about next? Please let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
- Did you enjoy this episode? If so, leave a short review here.
- Subscribe to Growth Everywhere on iTunes.
- Get the non-iTunes RSS feed
Connect with Eric Siu:
Disclaimer: As with any digital marketing campaign, your individual results may vary.